Having trouble coming up with website copy topics for your family law firm? Perhaps you don’t know how many areas of family law you should write about or how far in-depth you should go with your content. If so, you’re not alone.
Fortunately, there are a ton of excellent divorce and family law topics that your potential clients are searching for before calling a lawyer about their legal matters. By publishing more content, you can show up in more places and for more online searches that will get your website generating more valuable traffic than ever.
In this article, we’re going to dive into 26 family law copy topics that you should write about, as well as specific sub-topics and questions for each topic that your potential clients are actually searching for.
Website Content & Copy Topics for Family Law Firms
- Can you adopt a family member’s child?
- Can a child be adopted without the father’s consent?
- Do birth parents have any rights after adoption?
- What are the rules for adopting a child?
- How to file adoption papers
- How long can you be married to have an annulment?
- What qualifies as an annulment?
- What is the difference between divorce and annulment?
- Is cheating grounds for annulment?
- Why would a marriage be annulled?
- Can a family court decision be appealed?
- What are the grounds for an appeal in family law?
- How long do custody appeals take?
- Grounds for appeal in family court
- Family court appeal time limit
4. Child Custody
- What does the judge look for in a child custody case?
- How often do fathers get full custody?
- Who usually gets child custody?
- Do dads usually get 50/50 custody?
- Child custody laws for unmarried parents
5. Child Protective Services
- What happens when Child Protective Services is called?
- What are the forms of child neglect?
- How do you deem a parent unfit?
- What questions does CPS ask a child?
6. Child Support
- How much is child support?
- Can parents agree to no child support?
- What age do you stop paying child support?
- What is the maximum child support?
- How much is the minimum child support?
- Will my child support decrease if I have another baby?
7. Domestic Partnerships
- How long do you have to live together for domestic partnership?
- Domestic partnership benefits
- Domestic partnership vs marriage vs common law
- Are Domestic partnerships responsible for each other’s debts?
8. Domestic Violence
- What is considered to be domestic violence?
- What are ways to prevent domestic violence?
- What are the charges for domestic violence?
- How do most domestic violence cases end?
9. Father’s Rights
- Child custody for fathers
- Can a mother keep her child from the father?
- Who has more rights, the mother or father?
- How often do fathers get full custody?
10. Grandparents’ Rights
- Do grandparents have legal rights to see grandkids?
- Can a parent deny a grandparent visitation?
- What do Grandparent Rights consist of?
- Why would a judge modify parenting time?
- How do you win a child custody modification case?
- What happens at a modification hearing?
- How often can you modify a parenting plan?
12. Prenuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Is a prenup a good idea?
- Does cheating void a prenup?
- Prenuptial agreement pros and cons
- Prenuptial agreement after marriage
- Is a postnuptial agreement legally binding?
13. Terminating Parental Rights
- Can a mother terminate a father’s parental rights?
- When can a parent’s rights be terminated?
- Can my parental rights be terminated without me knowing?
- How to terminate parental rights of non-custodial parent?
- How long does it take to terminate parental rights?
14. Visitation Rights
- Can a custodial parent deny visitation rights?
- How is visitation determined?
- What are typical visitation rights?
- Visitation rights for fathers paying child support
- Types of visitation rights
Divorce-Specific Content Topics
1. Division of Business
- Can my spouse get half my business in a divorce?
- Is a business considered marital property?
- Is LLC protected from divorce?
- How are business assets divided in divorce?
- How is a business valued in a divorce?
2. Division of Retirement Accounts
- How are retirement accounts split in divorce?
- Can my wife take half my pension if we divorce?
- Are retirement accounts protected from divorce?
3. Division of Property & Assets
- Do you automatically get half in a divorce?
- How are assets and debts divided in a divorce?
- What assets are not divided in a divorce?
- How is a house divided in a divorce?
4. Divorce Mediation
- Is mediation cheaper than divorce?
- What can I expect at a divorce mediation?
- Is Divorce mediation legally binding?
- Can I change my mind after signing a mediation agreement?
- How to prepare for divorce mediation
5. High Net Worth Divorce
- High net worth divorce issues
- What is considered a high net worth divorce?
6. Gray Divorce
- How to survive a gray divorce?
- How common is gray divorce?
- How to survive divorce after 30 years of marriage?
- Gray divorce alimony
7. Preparing for a Divorce
- How do you prepare for a divorce?
- What can you not do during a divorce?
- What is the first thing to do when you want a divorce?
- Is there an advantage to filing for divorce first?
- Can you get a divorce if spouse won’t sign?
8. Spousal Support
- What qualifies a spouse for alimony?
- What is a fair amount of spousal support?
- What determines if a spouse gets alimony?
- Is alimony paid for life?
9. Contested Divorce
- How long do contested divorces take?
- Who pays for a contested divorce?
- Contested divorce process
- What does contested mean in a divorce?
10. Uncontested Divorce
- What does uncontested mean in a divorce?
- Should I get a lawyer for an uncontested divorce?
- Does an uncontested divorce go before a judge?
- How long does an uncontested divorce take?
11. Same Sex Divorce
12. Qualified domestic relations orders (QDRO)
- Who files QDRO in a divorce?
- What qualifies as a QDRO?
- How does a QDRO work in a divorce?
- How much does it cost to prepare a QDRO?
How to Use These Topics and Questions on Your Family Law Website
With 26 topics and over 100 questions and queries, there’s a lot of information that you can include on your website.
Make your content unique and targeted for queries within the state you practice law. General queries that don’t include an answer for your specific state or location can drive a lot of traffic. However, if you’re interested in driving relevant, local traffic that’s most likely to convert into appointments and clients, then focus your copywriting efforts on your firm’s local market.
Each of the main topics could have its own page on your website. This means that topics including Father’s Rights, Visitation Rights, Child Custody and Spousal Support would each have their own page dedicated to describing how your law firm or an attorney can assist with that given divorce or family law issue.
The questions listed under each primary topic will fall into 1 of two categories:
- It will become a supporting FAQ on the main topics page
- Become its own piece of standalone content in the form of an article or blog post
The deciding factor is how far in-depth you can provide an answer to the question or topic at hand.
Here’s a simple way to determine whether it should be a part of another page or its own page:
- If the response is less than 200 words, write it as an FAQ for parent-topic page
- If the response is longer, then it should be answered in its own separate article or page
Short-form answers can be included on the parent page as an FAQ and linked to your full articles to provide a more in-depth explanation.
If the answer to the question is less than 500 words, then include several related follow-up FAQs that you can briefly answer on that page, which are the next logical answers that visitors would look for.